Submitting motherboard-specific support? (w/ attached file)

Hi Axel,

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 16:38:48 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> Yes, there are some attempts at a trac specific solution, but I was
> thinking of a generic one, e.g. one that feeds an LDAP server and then
> trac/mediawiki/moin/apache/you_name_it can simply query the login
> credentials. That way this solution will be usable by far more than a
> trac instance.
>
> The LDAP part is dealt with at CLI level. What is missing is the Web
> interface. I envision it as such:
>
>  o User gives in data required, this would be Name (but split in
>    first/last), email & password. This is protected by a
>    (re)captcha. There is already a lib for PHP for recaptcha.
>  o The system stores a cookie and sends the authentication code to the
>    email specified (just like mailman)
>  o The user clicks on the web authentication URL and the web app calls
>    a cli app that creates the account
>
> In our case the cli app will be pushing the credential data to an LDAP
> server, another implementation could use htdiegst files, /etc/passwd,
> (l)useradd etc.

This sounds more complex than a trac-driven project should need.

> It is not much different from what mailman does other than adding a
> captcha.

Do we really need a mail validation mechanism (as bugzilla and mailman
do) AND a captcha? I thought that we only needed one method. I've
always seen the captcha as a replacement for email validation when
email validation is considered too much. In the case of trac we want an
email address anyway (for ticket change notifications).

--
Jean Delvare