Submitting motherboard-specific support? (w/ attached file)

On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 02:53:31PM +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Let me check if I understand you correctly, you want to have a registration
> module, for users to register themselves as trac user, which has some spam bot
> prevention methods, like sending a confirmation mail and maybe also such a
> picture with bad readable text? (which has a name I know, but not right now :)
>
> But wouldn't it be better to write such a thing in python and submit it for
> upstream trac inclusion? Has anyone already searched the web to see if such a
> thing exists?

Yes, there are some attempts at a trac specific solution, but I was
thinking of a generic one, e.g. one that feeds an LDAP server and then
trac/mediawiki/moin/apache/you_name_it can simply query the login
credentials. That way this solution will be usable by far more than a
trac instance.

The LDAP part is dealt with at CLI level. What is missing is the Web
interface. I envision it as such:

 o User gives in data required, this would be Name (but split in
   first/last), email & password. This is protected by a
   (re)captcha. There is already a lib for PHP for recaptcha.
 o The system stores a cookie and sends the authentication code to the
   email specified (just like mailman)
 o The user clicks on the web authentication URL and the web app calls
   a cli app that creates the account

In our case the cli app will be pushing the credential data to an LDAP
server, another implementation could use htdiegst files, /etc/passwd,
(l)useradd etc.

It is not much different from what mailman does other than adding a
captcha.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net