Processes causing CPU to overheat

I will explore solutions like better thermal compound and heatsink/fan
when I get some money from somewhere, like a job. In the meantime I am
forced to use methods that only require labor. The problem just caused
file damage that prevents me from logging in as an ordinary user (but I
can login as root). Adding a new user didn't allow me to login as that
user, so I conclude the file damage may have been in one of the etc/*rc
files. I had to rebuild all my email accounts as root, but using the
user mailboxes, to be able to send these messages. So far the problem
has not re-occurred running as root. In other words, I am in a race to
use software solutions get to a point where I can contemplate hardware
solutions.

Don't know much about Iirc lm-sensors. All this is fairly new to me. It
is not clear how a daemon could be harnessed to provide a trigger in a
script unless there is a hook on it for such things.

While in the BIOS the CPU temperature shown by the Nexus monitor panel
rose to 48 C, while the BIOS showed 66 C. That is why I set the shutdown
threshold in the BIOS to 70 C, just above what I found with the BIOS
running for a while, but lower than the level that the pathological
condition I am reporting produces (52 C on the Nexus panel).

Don't know how I will find that sensor chip. I will take the system to a
meeting tonight with others who may be able to figure these things out
with me.

512/374-9585 www.the-spa.com/jon.roland/  jon.roland at the-spa.com