Fw: Processes causing CPU to overheat

On Aug 22, 2005, at 4:27 PM, Jon Roland wrote:

> Thanks for your response. No, it's not dust. Problem hasn't
> recurred, so I can't open the case to see if the fan has stopped or
> slowed when the temp begins to rise, but that is an obvious next
> move if it does.

Yeah, you should be able to peg that CPU to 100% usage forever
without an overheat.  The ITE 8712F /does/ have a dedicated CPU fan
speed control, so it's possible something is mucking with it to make
it shut off or slow down that fan.

> Of course, mechanical problems would not correlate with CPU load,
> processes, and disk load, stopping the CPU fan (or increasing power
> to the CPU) when the nice usage (not system or user) pegs at 100%,
> and dropping back to normal when the first perl process is killed,
> which also causes all the other perl processes to end, and the nice
> usage to drop to zero. Nothing else causes the CPU temp to rise. I
> have done this process kill twice now, so it is not a coincidence.

Well, if you did have a slow CPU fan (say, all the time), it's likely
the CPU temp would remain low when it's not under load.  It would
just make it rise a lot quicker when it got busy (as you may be
experiencing).

And, 'nice' processes will heat up a cpu as fast as any other
process. It's just a process queue priority thing.  The CPU never
knows the difference what a 'nice' process is vs. another one.

> I don't know why my log file is truncated at 80 columns to reveal
> more information about those perl processes.

You could try using ps instead.  You can specify a columns value
there (e.g. ps aux --cols=500).  It could be processes processing log
files or something.

Good luck!

Phil