smbus RTC as misc device

Hi Olav,

Sorry for the delay.

> I hope this is the right list for my question. If not,
> please point me to a better list.
>
> Sometime at 2.6.8-2.6.9 kernel I needed a driver for the
> m41t11 RTC smbus chip. As there was none in the kernel at
> that time, I wrote it myself and made it available for user
> space as a misc device /dev/rtc (character dev 10 135). This
> way unmodified hwclock could access it.
>
> Now I noticed that latest kernels already contain the
> m41t00.c, which may well be able to drive my m41t11 RTC
> unmodified. However, it does not make the device available
> through /dev/rtc. Neither do that other few i2c RTCs
> currently in the kernel. They all seem to define their own
> ioctls each.
>
> What about making i2c RTCs available through /dev/rtc
> supporting its ioctls? If this would be OK then I can
> propose a patch for m41t00.c.

You are probably right. There have been quite a few discussions lately
about how to standardize the kernel interface to RTC drivers, the same
question may hold for the user-space interface.

However, this is neither related to hardware monitoring, nor to i2c, so
there's not much advice we can give to you - it's something we don't
know anything about ourselves. Better try to contact the various authors
of RTC drivers and/or the LKML, and see what they think about the idea.

--
Jean Delvare