smbus RTC as misc device

Hi,

I hope this is the right list for my question. If not,
please point me to a better list.

Sometime at 2.6.8-2.6.9 kernel I needed a driver for the
m41t11 RTC smbus chip. As there was none in the kernel at
that time, I wrote it myself and made it available for user
space as a misc device /dev/rtc (character dev 10 135). This
way unmodified hwclock could access it.

Now I noticed that latest kernels already contain the
m41t00.c, which may well be able to drive my m41t11 RTC
unmodified. However, it does not make the device available
through /dev/rtc. Neither do that other few i2c RTCs
currently in the kernel. They all seem to define their own
ioctls each.

What about making i2c RTCs available through /dev/rtc
supporting its ioctls? If this would be OK then I can
propose a patch for m41t00.c.

Olav

!! I'm not subscribed, please CC.