i2c-amd756 and dual opteron sensors not foun

* Jean Delvare <khali at linux-fr.org> [2004-03-01 18:27:58 +0100]:
> Modern computers are mostly made of PCI devices. This is what lspci
> lists. Each device has one or more "functions" (understand:
> sub-devices).  Devices also belong to a group or bus. This is the
> meaning of the three values in front of lspci's line. For example,
> "00:09.0" means bus 0, device 9, function 0.
>
> In your specific case your lspci shows:
> (...)
> 00:07.1 Class 0101: 1022:7469 (rev 03)
> 00:07.3 Class 0680: 1022:746b (rev 05)
> (...)
>
> The AMD-8111 SMBus function has PCI ID 1022:746a. It should obvously
> show between the two other lines as function 2 of PCI device 7 on bus
> 0. But it does not.
>
> It is almost certain that this function *is* here (because the device
> is, and you cannot easily remove a function from a given device). It it
> doesn't show up, this is because the BIOS has been told to remove it
> from the PCI devices list.
>
> The reason why manufacturers sometimes do this are obscure. One often
> heard reason is that it would frighten Windows user because it would
> appear as a unknown device in the System panel. Anyway, we had to deal
> with similar behaviors on some ALi and Intel chipsets so far. Never
> with AMD.

Also SiS chipsets.  Keep in mind that the BIOS comes from the board maker,
not the chipset maker... e.g. both Asus/SiS and Asus/Intel boards often
do this.

> Usually, the solution it to change the value of some bits in some place.
> The question is: which bits, which place. We cannot guess that without
> documentation.
>
> So basically you need to ask them what operation is needed to re-enable
> that specific PCI function.

If they won't tell you this, there may be another way:

If they provide a system monitoring app for Windows, see if you can get
it to run under Wine.  Email me off-list for help with that.  If you
can get that working, we can probably find out how to enable the device.
That's exactly what I did for the SiS96x quirk.

Jean:

I quickly browsed through this datasheet, and I see nothing obvious...

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/24674.pdf

Regards,

--
Mark M. Hoffman