Donation.

* Jean Delvare <khali at linux-fr.org> [2003-10-28 23:55:12 +0100]:

> > Yeah, don't be afraid to do a little soldering to hack something up.
> > Here's an old page I made with my experience w/ an AD eval board:
> >
> > http://secure.netroedge.com/~lm78/hardhack.html
> >
> > You might need to use an old DIMM to tap into the SMBus & power, or
> > you might be lucky enough to have some jumpers on the mobo which make
> > it easy to tap into these things.

In particular many Asus mainboards have SMBus pins.  I've never seen
anything advertised by them to connect to it... but I did hook up a scope
to one of mine to confirm that it works.

> Common Phil, I'm not that crazy! ;) If you consider that 1) I don't want
> to sacrifice the brand new evaluation board Sean kindly sent to me 2) I
> don't wan't to sacrifice my own computer hardware 3) I don't have tools
> for doing electronics here 4) I'm not particularily competent when it
> comes to soldering and 5) The evaluation board works through the
> parallel port under Windows, so it has to work under Linux too, you'll
> understand that what I am requesting is a software solution, not a
> hardware tinkering guide (although your page is quite impressive, I
> admit).

If you can get hold of one of those Asus boards... there wouldn't be any
*difficult* soldering.  ;)

> Either one of our modules can be easily adapted to handle the evaluation
> board, or I'll write one, providing Sean can explain to me how to do
> that. I guess it's a simple problem of writing the right things at the
> right time on the parallel port. Sean, are the SCL and SDA lines handled
> by the software and transmitted to the eval board through the parallel
> port, or are these signals generated on the board itself and simply
> controlled by the parallel port?

They sent an eval board without a schematic?  Tsk, tsk.  ;)

> BTW, I tried our i2c-pcf-epp module and it led me to a kernel panic :( I
> guess that it isn't supposed to happen, even if the module doesn't
> recognize the hardware. How may I investigate and fix the problem?

I think that i2c-pcf-epp is for a Phillips I2C controller chip wired
to a parallel port.  If the eval board connects SCL/SDA directly to
the parallel port, then you want i2c-pport.  This may also need some
work depending on how SCL/SDA are wired to the parallel cable.

Regards,

--
Mark M. Hoffman
mhoffman at lightlink.com