i2c-sis630 driver (fixed)

On Thursday 31 July 2003 05:27, Mark M. Hoffman wrote:
> * Alexander Malysh <amalysh at web.de> [2003-07-31 00:59:50 +0200]:
> > Hi Mark,
> >
> > hmm, now I have undestand the problem... But it is not a right fix too
> > (imo). with your changes i2c-sis630 will claim ISA brigde and block
> > others if they want use it or I missed anything? i2c-sis630 doesn't use
> > isa brigde only for detection of acpi base address.
>
> My understanding is this:  If you need the resource (base address) from the
> ISA bridge PCI device, that's a valid reason to claim it.  Do you know of
> some other driver which uses the ACPI base address?  Is there some other
> driver which claims the ISA bridge PCI device?  Come to think of it - you
> have the datasheet for that chipset - is there anything else on there that
> would need a driver?

i2c-sis630 doesn't use (base addr) from the isa brigde pci device, only acpi
base addr will be used by the driver and may not play with acpi very well if
acpi make use of smbus (e.g.defined in the dsdt).Unfortunately I have not
tested it yet, because in dstdt from my laptop is no smbus defined.

> You're right: the patch I proposed assumes that it is the one and only
> driver to claim the ISA bridge device.

but why should driver claim this device? I can not get really answer , if any
other driver claims the isa brigde pci device , but unfortunately I can not
undestand why?

--
Best regards,
Dipl.-Ing.