i2c-sis630 driver (fixed?)

* Alexander Malysh <amalysh at web.de> [2003-08-01 23:21:59 +0200]:
> Hi Jean, Mark,
>
> i do not know what is to do here :(
> i2c-sis630 is not a pci driver and should not claim any pci devices.
> i2c-sis630 use only io ports and pci device look up used only in order to
> determine if it a right sis chip et all. I want to revert pci changes and
> commit it, if nobody has any objections.

On one hand it should be a PCI driver.  After all it does read (and
potentially write) in the PCI config space of the bridge device -
even if that's only at device init.

But then again, if there are other functions hidden there that some
other driver might use, we're back to the same problem.

> Mark, what do you think about it? Why should be such detect method not
> accepted in 2.4.X ?

Well maybe it's not forbidden, but discouraged.  Again, I'm not sure
what is the right thing.  If we don't hear fresh advice in a few
days I'll ask on LKML.

> On Friday 01 August 2003 23:01, Jean Delvare wrote:
> > Mark, Alexander,
> >
> > Is the i2c-sis630 driver considered fixed or not? Shall I close the
> > tickets 1350 and 1351?
> >
> > (My reading of the thread makes me think there still is a discussion
> > about what should be done, but I don't know what I am supposed to do
> > with the tickets.)

The code in CVS should work just fine.  I would say the tickets can be
closed because (unless we're very sloppy) that bug won't happen again.
What we discuss above is related but more subtle.

Regards,

--
Mark M. Hoffman
mhoffman at lightlink.com