Re: Separate user- and project- quota ?

Il 02/07/20 13:34, Brian Foster ha scritto:

> I missed how this went from a question around interaction between user
> and project quotas to reporting of a problem associated with enablement
> of group+project quotas and an old fs.
Detected the problem and reported it as an "aside", suggesting a
possible improvement.

> The above shows a v4 superblock
> (crc=0), which means project and group quotas share an inode and thus
> are mutually exclusive. It sounds to me that the problem is simply that
> you're specifying a set of incompatible mount options on a v4 fs, but
> you haven't really stated the problem clearly. I.e.:
> # mount /dev/test/scratch /mnt/ -o gquota,pquota
> mount: /mnt: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/mapper/test-scratch, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.
> # dmesg | tail
> [  247.554345] XFS (dm-3): Super block does not support project and group quota together
Seems you pinned it anyway.

> We have to fail in this scenario (as opposed to randomly picking one)
> because either one can work for any mount (presumably wiping out the old
> quotas when changing from one mode to the other across a mount).
So that's not possible because introducing such a change would create
problems in existingsystems. I understand, more or less: if they still
boot, they're using just one option and from down my ignorance it seemed
a good idea to just discard deterministically one of the options
allowing the system to boot anyway. The usual "it's easy if you don't
have to do it" :)

Tks a lot for the clear explanation. Today I learnt something new.

--
Diego Zuccato
DIFA - Dip. di Fisica e Astronomia