Re: Separate user- and project- quota ?

On 6/26/20 5:58 AM, Diego Zuccato wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I'd need to have separate quota for users and projects on the same
> filesystem.
> I currently have /home/PERSONALE and /home/STUDENTI where homes gets
> automatically created. I'd need to have /home/software/prjN directories
> with independent quotas.
>
> What I've seen is that if any user creates a file in prjN directory,
> that file is counted twice: both in user's and project's quota.
>
> Am I getting something wrong? Missing an option? Can it be done?
>
> TIA.

I'm not certain, but I don't think there is any sort of hierarchy or
priority among the 3 quota types on a given filesystem.

In the same way that if you have user & group quotas active, a file
in a user:group pair would count against user and group limits, I'm
fairly certain that the same behavior applies to user & project quotas.

I think what you're asking is whether a file in a project quota directory
can avoid user quota accounting, and I'm pretty sure the answer is no.

I think you'll be limited by the first quota limit that gets reached.

The way around this would be to make /home/software/ a separate filesystem
with only project quotas active.

(Apologies for not digging into the code to be certain, but from what
you've seen and from what I think I know, the above is my best guess.)

-Eric