Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC 1/4] mac80211: support for IEEE80211N in IBSS

On Thu, 2011-01-20 at 09:48 +0000, Alexander Simon wrote:

> > Well, then maybe I just discussed this with him -- there's similar code
> > building the HT IEs for stations, that code should be shared.

> So you mean my patch 2/4? It could work but you would have to change util.c of
> course. I was pretty sure you wouldn't have accepted that.

Of course I'd accept that :-) Reducing duplicated code is good, and I
can deal with patches touching many files. Though it'd be nice to do the
necessary refactoring first.

A nice touch, btw, would be if you included a diffstat. Maybe you should
look at using quilt or git to submit patches which help you automate a
lot of things.

> Ok, separating cfg from mac. No big deal. I'll have to look how to advertise
> something...

Look at WIPHY_FLAG_IBSS_RSN in net/wireless and net/mac80211 -- that's
how things can be advertised. Also, for this one of course you have
NL80211_ATTR_SUPPORT_IBSS_RSN.

> But i would appreciate if you could comment on the design of the patch itself.
> Basically i just took Benoits approach and made it running. A separate option
> for setting channel_type isn't necessary. You could also tell by iw whether to
> use HT or not. Or no option at all, a module option ibss_ht etc. Or even setting
> full options as hostapd does via iw.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "a separate option"? With
the approach that you've posted patches for you need to tell iw whether
you want HT or not, right?

johannes