Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC 1/4] mac80211: support for IEEE80211N in IBSS

On Thu, 2011-01-20 at 09:10 +0000, Alexander Simon wrote:

> What do you mean with a "not so refactoring version"? I am adding a new IE.
> These are only insertions, no other changes. Or do you mean that dev_alloc_skb?
> However, i took the last "try" from Benoit.

Well, then maybe I just discussed this with him -- there's similar code
building the HT IEs for stations, that code should be shared.

> I split my patch into 4 sections: Setting channel_type, Building the HT IE when
> joining an IBSS, parse the HT IE of a newly joined station and enable
> aggregation code for IBSS.
>
> This first patch adds setting nl80211_channel_type for an IBSS. This is mostly
> Benoits work.
> When a IBSS to connect to is given by iw, there is a new argument to set HT20,
> HT40+ or HT40-.
> When we create an IBSS, we have that struct params where we can find the channel
> type set by iw.
> When we join a already existing IBSS, we don't. If we find a HT IE, then we will
> distinguish our channel type by that.
> Here the problem remains if a legacy station has joined a HT IBSS and we got its
> beacon. Then we'll won't have an HT IE... This has to be fixed, maybe something
> like "found a HT20 STA, switching to HT20. And now found a HT40-, switching to
> HT40-"

Yes all of that might be necessary, but can you post patches that do one
thing at a time? Like at least one cfg80211/nl80211 patch that adds the
configurability, and then a mac80211 patch that will use it.

Also, I think cfg80211 should support advertising to userspace that it's
supported.

Yes, I sometimes accept combined cfg80211/mac80211 patches, but I think
this feature is bigger than that.

johannes