Search Linux Wireless

Re: [ath9k-devel] [RFC] ath9k: Insert wmb before linking dma descriptors

2010/11/1 Bob Copeland <me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> 2010/11/1 Björn Smedman <bjorn.smedman@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
[snip]
>> IMHO there is a right and wrong, at the very least inside a computer.
>> If we can't read the documentation (Documentation/memory-barriers.txt)
>> and decide if the patch is correct or incorrect (I'm not saying I can
>> with 100% certainty) then perhaps we should ask somebody who can?

[snip]
> One thing such a patch _does_ need, though, is a comment that describes
> why there is a barrier.  Otherwise when people reorganize the code,
> they may forget to take the barrier with it, and it also lets
> late-comers know which data is serialized by the barrier.  In the best
> case, said late-comers are more knowledgeable than me and fix the crap
> code that I write.

First let me apologize for the tone in my previous mail. It came out
too hard this Monday (due to a long and unwanted weekend of debugging
ath9k DMA errors). I did not mean to suggest that any code is crap
regardless of origin (except maybe if I wrote it).

Thanx Bob for your input. If we agree the memory barriers are needed
for correctness I will add comments and post as PATCH.

/Björn