Search Linux Wireless

Re: Multiple SSID on same phy

On 2010-01-30 6:11 PM, Greg Oliver wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 11:05 AM, Felix Fietkau <nbd@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 2010-01-30 5:22 PM, Greg Oliver wrote:

>>> Hmmm, I would put the odds at that happening about 100,000:1 (if not more)
>>>
>>> Yes, I know it is feasible, but HIGHLY unlikely.
>> Actually, with non-mac80211 drivers people have been deploying setups
>> like this for years. Now that this functionality is starting to
>> stabilize in mac80211, people are starting to use it there as well.
>>
>> What you call 'HIGHLY unlikely' is actually very common ;)
>>
>> - Felix
>>

> Hmmm..  Are there that many network engineers that I clean the mess up
> for?  I think they would not be visiting here...  Please give me an
> example of "hiding" anything..  That just makes it all more useless..
> Seriously real world examples that only a single ssid would benefit
> from..
>
> I can think of no reason you would not EVER use a unique name....
I seem to have trouble parsing your language as well.
I thought we were talking about the use case of having two distinct BSS
interfaces with different SSIDs on the same PHY.
What does that have to do with hiding anything? Different interfaces,
different encryption settings, bound to different networks, simple as that.

- Felix