Search Linux Wireless

RE: I need a card that works reasonably easily with Debain- reccs?

> From: julian.calaby@xxxxxxxxx
> Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 22:48:17 +1100
> Subject: Re: I need a card that works reasonably easily with Debain- reccs?
> To: marchywka@xxxxxxxxxxx
> CC: larry.finger@xxxxxxxxxxxx; netrolller.3d@xxxxxxxxx; linux-wireless@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 09:29, Mike Marchywka  wrote:
>>

>> This is the info for the card,
>> 04:06.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88w8335 [Libertas] 802.11b/g Wireless [11ab:1faa] (rev 03)
>
> Oh yes, the WG311 v3
>
> I have grappled with one of these cards in the past. There's been a
> couple of efforts (one on my part) to get a working open source driver
> off the ground, however none have (yet) borne fruit.
>
> Essentially, your only option is to either use a very specific kernel
> version and Marvell's official open source driver, or write your own
> from the bits and pieces of the others around.
>
> The Marvell driver can be found here: *note the version number*.
> http://git.infradead.org/users/dwmw2/marvell-db64660-2.6.12.6.git
>
> The (non-working) remains of one of the efforts can be found here:
> http://git.infradead.org/mrv8k-2.6.git
>
> If you're interested, I can dig up the other bits and pieces I have
> and send them to you. (None of these actually work, and the mrv8k
> driver is the most complete.)

Thanks but please don't go to any effort quite yet as this would be a learning
curve for me - I can handle UART's on a Z80 and embedded systems but this may take a bit :)
I would consider learning in background but it will take a while to create useful result.

> Also, the hardware may be similar enough to the Marvell TopDog
> hardware supported by the in-tree mwl8k driver that it can be used as
> a base.
>
> Personally, my solution to the issue of there being no drivers for
> this card was to try (and succeed) in making another wireless card I
> have work.

Right now I'm connecting through eth0 wired to a windoze machine with a wireless card.
Originally the linux machine was going to do this, as well as all the other cool stuff.

>> but now that you have me going I would like to find a driver for this too,
>>
>> 04:07.0 Communication controller [0780]: Conexant Systems, Inc. HSF 56k Data/Fax Modem [14f1:2f20]
>
> You'll have to ask elsewhere for info on that, it doesn't seem to be a
> wireless card =)
>
> However, it does seem to be a PCI 56k Modem, which causes the big red
> warning lights to flash: it's likely to be a "winmodem" which means
> that it's a very *very* dumb card containing a trumped up DAC and ADC
> and the absolute minimum hardware to talk on a POTS line. In terms of
> drivers, this means that almost all the meat of a modem is implemented
> in software, so the driver needs to handle most of the conversion from
> data to be sent to the tones to send out on the POTS line *in
> software*. There are a couple of winmodem drivers floating around out
> there, but, as I understand it, there is no standard for these
> devices, so every brand (and possibly model) works differently.

Yeah, I've heard about the winmodems but I thought this was not one.
It may in fact be easier to just use an old windoze machine to run junk like
this- cygwin ssh on these things should make them useful...

> Hopefully you have one of the better supported cards.

Any idea how hard it would be to write a bluetooth driver to use my blackerry storm
as a mouse? I could probably handle the BB code. LOL.

As far as that goes, for a tethered or even bluetooth device, are there modem drivers for
phones or if I want to use a cellular connection go usb modem? After all of this, I'm tempted
to try to get back my amateur radio license and see if I can connect through a VHF repeater
somewhere LOL.