Search Linux Wireless

Re: hal, rfkill and compat-wireless (Re: [RFC/RFT] rtl8187: Implement rfkill support)

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 4:10 PM, Inaky
Perez-Gonzalez<inaky.perez-gonzalez@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-08-31 at 17:05 -0600, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:

>> > Works for me, we then still need to address (if we really care) the
>> > platform stuff. If someone is interested feel free to send patches to
>> > add those, I figure as long we get down to the latest supported stable
>> > kernel it should be good. The latest supported stable kernel is always
>> > on display on kernel,org, today being 2.6.27.
>>
>> BTW inaky -- this is actually up to you, are you wiling to live with
>> no rfkill for compat?
>
> I don't really mind -- but it could be a problem for anyone trying to
> use it.

Hm sure and there is still also the issue of users of wimax enabled on
older kernels and using rfkill there. That is, users not using
compat-wimax but using just compat-wireless and expecting rfkill to
work smoothly between wimax and compat-wireless.

I am not sure of the details of the platform rfkill drivers or how
wimax or wireless drivers use these.. Perhaps there are no issues, I
haven't really cared to look into it.

> Not that I recommend not being able to switch the radio off :)
> however, the WiMAX stack has APIs for it too, so at least there is a
> workaround.

You mean a way to rfkill without rfkill?

> But remember, I won't be able to support it at all.

To support what specifically?

  Luis