Search Linux Wireless

Re: hal, rfkill and compat-wireless (Re: [RFC/RFT] rtl8187: Implement rfkill support)

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 12:15 PM, Hin-Tak Leung<hintak.leung@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 7:54 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez<mcgrof@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Argh, I just have a stacktrace after reboot - toshiba_acpi.ko (on a
>>> toshiba laptop) requires the stock-kernel rfkill-* symbols, and rfkill
>>> won't load because of my modified compat-wireless rfkill_backport.ko
>>> which takes up /sys/class/rfkill rather than
>>> /sys/class/rfkill_backport . There's your reason from sysfs renaming.
>>> I wonder why/how I could unload rfkill.ko earlier, since the *_acpi.ko
>>> needs it - maybe I had acpi unloaded as a side-effect also.
>>>
>>> I guess we'll need hal to treat /sys/class/rfkill_backport like
>>> /sys/class/rfkill  then - will file a bug somewhere on freedesktop,
>>> although I hear hal is on its way out....
>>
>> How many modules depend on rfkill, as with ssb maybe we should just
>> add them all ? I'm not volunteering though, but just pointing out that
>> if its not that many as with ssb perhaps its best to just add the
>> other drivers.
>>
>>  Luis
>>

> for fedora 11's stock, (which probably have all the modules of any use)
> #depmod -v | grep rfkill_register shows, besides drivers/net/wireless/* ,
>
> kernel/drivers/net/usb/hso.ko
> kernel/drivers/platform/x86/dell-laptop.ko
> kernel/drivers/platform/x86/acer-wmi.ko
> kernel/drivers/platform/x86/hp-wmi.ko
> kernel/drivers/platform/x86/sony-laptop.ko
> kernel/drivers/platform/x86/thinkpad_acpi.ko
> kernel/drivers/platform/x86/toshiba_acpi.ko
> kernel/net/wireless/cfg80211.ko

OK not so bad except for:

> kernel/net/wimax/wimax.ko

That's touching another subsystem but we could technically merge wimax
into compat-wireless if Inaky thinks that's a good idea. the point
here is to unify anything that uses rfkill for backport usage.

> If everything that depends on rkill is bundled with
> compat-wireless, there is probablt no need for the symbol and sysfs
> renaming hacks.

Right which is why I think this may be reasonable to do. Any thoughts Inaky?

  Luis