Search Linux Wireless

Re: ieee80211_regdom module parameter for cfg80211

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 1:36 PM, Gábor Stefanik <netrolller.3d@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 10:18 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 12:33 PM, Gábor Stefanik
>> <netrolller.3d@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> What if the user wants to host an AP? What if "MyNET123" is ad-hoc or
>>> mesh? What if the user needs packet injection?
>>
>> Then if you see an AP around you you can determine you can beacon as
>> well (did you see the new beacon hint patches I sent?) otherwise you
>> need crda and you need to set your regdomain. Mind you AP support
>> didn't got in for mac80211 drivers until 2.6.29 where OLD_REG is still
>> default. The patch in question is for 2.6.30 and it not about
>> _removing_ OLD_REG, its about not making it default, the patch
>> suggests removal for 2.6.31.
>>
>> Also remember that hostapd supports setting the country from the
>> configuration file as well.
>>
>>> Forcing the initial
>>> regdomain to world is not a good idea.
>>
>> OLD_REG implies just that -- its old, meaning we're moving on to new
>> things. The new strategy we decided on was to not rely on static
>> regulatory domains in the kernel so so the only reasonable option in
>> the absence of location information is to default to world.
>
> I mean forcing the initial regdomain to world even when CRDA is
> available - the only way to set the regdomain on boot without the
> modparam on an existing distro is editing init scripts, which changes
> depending on the distro.

Its not about "init scripts", its about userspace.

> (I've seen distros which didn't allow direct
> editing of init scripts, instead they were auto-generated on each
> software change!) A distro upgrade is not always an option.

This isn't about init scripts or not, this is about userspace/kernel
space. Init scripts should only be used if your current software
doesn't support allowing you to set regdomains. wpa_supplicant and
hostapd already support this, network manager doesn't though and that
I think is a good argument to keep around the module parameter for a
bit longer.

So what if we set OLD_REG to default to n, and allow the module
parameter to exist with OLD_REG and without it for a while (until I
guess Network Manager picks up setting regdomains).

Keep in mind if your card is already providing a regulatory hint such
as ath9k, zd1211rw you don't even need to set your regdomain -- unless
you want to help compliance further.

>>> Channel 13 was also just an
>>> example, it could be an 5GHz channel as well.
>>
>> Sure, and I posted a new set of patches which enable 5 GHz passive scan as well.
>
> On all channels that may be available somewhere, or is it just an intersection?

On the non-DFS frequency range of standard IEEE-802.11a channels

  Luis