Search Linux Wireless

Re: ieee80211_regdom module parameter for cfg80211

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 10:07:05PM +0100, Gábor Stefanik wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 9:33 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 11:45 AM, Gábor Stefanik
> > <netrolller.3d@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Yes, I was talking about users doing this, users who upgrade their
> >> kernel without upgrading their distro. Keeping a modparam provides an
> >> easy way for users to upgrade kernels without a full distro upgrade -
> >> modparams have a much simpler syntax than init scripts. If we keep the
> >> modparam as a way to control CRDA, this is what an user has to do to
> >> upgrade:
> >> 1. Compile and install the new kernel. (Mostly straightforward, as
> >> long as the user has a config and knows how to use make.)
> >> 2. Compile and install CRDA. (Straightforward.)
> >> 3. echo options cfg80211 ieee80211_regdom="HU" >>
> >> /etc/modprobe.d/options (Straightforward.)
> >>
> >> Removing the modparam changes step 3 to:
> >> 3. Find the init scripts, and edit them to include "iw reg set HU",
> >> making sure it happens early enough, caring about the syntax, taking
> >> into account differences between distros, etc. Possibly includes
> >> modifying the initramfs/initrd by hand in some odd distros. (Not
> >> straightforward at all, requires knowledge of the distro's inner
> >> workings, such as the init version used, e.g. sysvinit, bsdinit,
> >> upstart, etc.)
> >
> > It seems reasonable to keep the module parameter in case iw is not
> > installed but if users went through the trouble of installing crda are
> > we to not expect users to have iw also by 2.6.30?
> >
> >  Luis
> >

> I am not talking about the case when iw is not installed - even if iw
> is installed, it is much easier to edit the module options file than
> the init scripts.

We should strive away from using module parameters and provided we have
a good userspace API it should be up to userspace to figure that stuff out.

Although an ieee80211_regdom module parameter may be convenient its not
productive towards what we want as well -- we shouldn't strive to let your
module parameter be the only place to put your location information from
userspace. Say you suspend to ram, fly to another country -- you'd want
more of an intelligent usersapce figuring out your location for you and you
don't want it to muck with your module parameters.

  Luis