Search Linux Wireless

Re: ieee80211_regdom module parameter for cfg80211

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 11:48 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez
<mcgrof@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 04:38:10PM -0600, Larry Finger wrote:
>> Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:

>> > The idea was that things we want to get rid of will go in OLD_REG. Static regdoms
>> > for US, JP and EU fall into that and so does the module parameter. I believe
>> > it is silly to keep the module parameter around as we already have userspace
>> > APIs to let users set this.
>>
>> I guess we leave it the way it is. At least the only people that will get caught
>> are those that upgrade their distro.
>
> Yeah, if they disable OLD_REG -- but I am curious which distributions are using this
> themselves as well. Would you happen to know ? Or are you mostly seeing just users
> doing that themselves?

Yes, I was talking about users doing this, users who upgrade their
kernel without upgrading their distro. Keeping a modparam provides an
easy way for users to upgrade kernels without a full distro upgrade -
modparams have a much simpler syntax than init scripts. If we keep the
modparam as a way to control CRDA, this is what an user has to do to
upgrade:
1. Compile and install the new kernel. (Mostly straightforward, as
long as the user has a config and knows how to use make.)
2. Compile and install CRDA. (Straightforward.)
3. echo options cfg80211 ieee80211_regdom="HU" >>
/etc/modprobe.d/options (Straightforward.)

Removing the modparam changes step 3 to:
3. Find the init scripts, and edit them to include "iw reg set HU",
making sure it happens early enough, caring about the syntax, taking
into account differences between distros, etc. Possibly includes
modifying the initramfs/initrd by hand in some odd distros. (Not
straightforward at all, requires knowledge of the distro's inner
workings, such as the init version used, e.g. sysvinit, bsdinit,
upstart, etc.)

>> A clean install should redo the /etc/...
>> tree and do away with such modifications.
>
> Sure, I'd like to see us avoid upgrade issues but I'd also like to phase out
> module parameters for which we have created equivalent userspace APIs. I suspect
> this is a reasonable case.
>
>  Luis
> --

Vista: [V]iruses, [I]ntruders, [S]pyware, [T]rojans and [A]dware. :-)