Search Linux Wireless

rtl8187 sleeping/hanging

Hi folks,

Installed current snapshot -> compat-wireless-2009-02-05

Still trying to get to grips with the rtl8187 driver. Not sure at the
moment whether my current problems are the fault of the laptop hardware or
the driver. Maybe someone who has a similar wireless chip would care to
compare notes.

My router is situated upstairs. I have, this week, changed it to a new one
with a 5db gain level antenna rather than the original that had a 2db.

I have no problems with my old laptop using the ipw2200 driver connecting
to either of my routers. I can walk anywhere in the house with doors shut
and still get a solid ping.

Sadly, it seems my new laptop is not so reliable...
- Moving around when constantly pinging causes the pinging to halt,
missing packets.
- If I dont use the network connection for a few minutes (think it tends
to be when on battery but not definitely tested), it seems the wlan0 dies
/ goes to sleep / hangs. Not sure which. Sometimes it comes back with a
quick ping to the router. Other occasions I have to re-modprobe the
driver.

I thought it might be the hardware is not as powerful as my old laptop but
iwconfig reports both have a 20db tx value so figured they are connecting
with the same transmit power.

Wondered if it might be to do with cpu frequency scaling as the default
kde4 powersave settings have the following settings:
- AC adapter: cpu freq scaling = performance
- Battery: cpu freq scaling = dynamic (less aggressive)
(Changed Battery to performance to see if this makes any difference)

Either way if people have any ideas they could throw at me then I would be
much appreciated as doing anything networky such as a quick google is
turning into a full blown network marathon!

Distro: Mandriva 2009
Kernel: 2.6.27.10-desktop586-1mnb
IP Address: static
Network: handled by ifcfg script
Wireless: WPA2-PSK using TKIP
Channel: Tried both 11 and 8 and has no affect

Happy to provide any more info as required.

Regards

PGR

--
Laws are partly formed for the sake of good men, in order to instruct them
how they may live on friendly terms with one another, and partly for the

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded
perversity? Have you ever considered a career in the church?
Bishop of Bath and Wells (Blackadder II)