Search Linux Wireless

rtl8187 wireless issues

Hello,

I recently bought a new laptop from Novatech.co.uk
(http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/range.html?t=nb&c=all&r=X60).

I have installed Mandriva 2009 (2.6.27-7) on the laptop and despite best
efforts cannot make the internal wifi card connect to my router. The card
is reported by lsusb as

id: 0x8189 chipset: rtl8187b

I use WPA2 with a pre-shared key on my router. Would you mind giving me
guidance as to whether this is relibaly working with the rtl8187 driver?

Basically, I am unable to associate with the router. Looking at
wpa_supplicant debug output, it indicates the card simply times out when
trying to associate. However, on one brief occasion a couple of days ago,
I was able to associate according to iwconfig, yet despite best efforts I
was unable to ping anything.

It seems as well that when the driver is installed (currently blacklisted
in modprobe.conf), it stops other network interfaces operating correctly.
For example, I am unable to ping from a wired ethernet and unable to
associate with the AP with an externel wireless USB dongle.

I have since tried the 2.6.29 kernel from its git repository but that
version of the rtl8187 driver did not associate either.

At this point I am constrained by lack of debugging knowledge. The only
tools I know of is iwconfig and friends, wpa_supplicant -ddd and ifconfig.
If someone wouldnt mind giving me an idea of how to approach debugging
this problem then I could try and understand what is going on myself.

Any help very much appreciated.

Thanks

P. G. Richardson
(a.k.a phantomjinx)

--
Laws are partly formed for the sake of good men, in order to instruct them
how they may live on friendly terms with one another, and partly for the

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded
perversity? Have you ever considered a career in the church?
Bishop of Bath and Wells (Blackadder II)