Search Linux Wireless

Re: New Regulatory Domain Api.

On Wed, 2008-10-15 at 19:26 +0200, Marcel Holtmann wrote:

> I can see it useful when companies actually start building products with
> two or more cards in the system and have different cards for different
> tasks in it. So if you stick one card for one band and another one for
> the other band in there, then it would make sense to do a per-band
> regulatory hinting.

The question is whether they'd use Intel cards that have channel-based
eeprom information ;) If it's anything else, then it needs crda anyway.

> Not sure if this really ever ends up in a product. However I can see the
> case where you have a laptop with a BG-card and then attach an A-card to
> it do access an A-network and then it doesn't work. It would be nice to
> just have this working. Currently this would not work.

Well, it won't work if the user doesn't use crda/iw to set the proper
regulatory domain, doesn't set the "old regulatory" kernel config option
_and_ has Intel wireless :)

I don't think we have to worry too much about all these special use
cases, we really want distros to pick up crda and provide location
information to the kernel.

> Also the case when we unplug the first card, does the regulatory hint
> gets reset and the next card could bring in a new one? I can see use
> cases where you don't wanna use the built-in card, because it is just
> too limited.

Not currently, no, it wouldn't get reset I think. Should be doable
though, in the current framework.

Care to look at it and come up with patches, also for the printk thing
you wanted?

johannes