Search Linux Wireless

Re: New Regulatory Domain Api.

Hi Marcel,

> > The only reasonable solution I can come up with is have it make separate
> > hints for 2.4 and 5 GHz and then a single-band card won't say anything
> > about 5 GHz so the dual-band gets to set that part. But OTOH I don't see
> > a reasonable use-case for this whole thing so far---we really only added
> > this after discussions with Marcel at OLS so embedded systems can
> > function w/o crda, but who would build an embedded system with two
> > different cards like that?
>
> and we need to keep it this way. For example the first card can be a
> dual-band card, but the EEPROM value restricts it one band. That might
> be by choice.

Interesting point. I didn't think that was possible.

> Then attaching a second card, we can't just extend it and
> let this card go ahead and use the second band.

True. Well, not entirely true, because the first card would
 (1) register its eeprom channels as the regulatory domain for one band
 (2) register only the eeprom channels as the per-hw channels

so when the second card adds the regulatory domain for the second band
the first card still cannot use the extra channels because it doesn't
have those registered in its wiphy.

However, this really gets complicated. Do we need to go there?

johannes