Search Linux Wireless

Re: New Regulatory Domain Api.

On Wed, 2008-10-15 at 17:50 +0200, Marcel Holtmann wrote:

> > Let's use the solution at this time. Just a notion that the regdomain in
> > kernel doesn't sort out very well in some circumstance without user
> > intervention.
>
> that is what Johannes and I agreed on. We do have to make this work when
> no userspace is present or is limited due to the design of the embedded
> system in question. In that case the first regulatory hint wins.

Yeah, we have to let one of them win, unless we want to add the
complexity with per-band hints as discussed in the other part of the
thread.

> Johannes, we could just add a kernel warning if we have mismatched
> regulatory hints and userspace was not involved until now. So at least
> it shows up in dmesg and can be debugged easily if needed.

We can probably do that, yeah, though we'd have to get the conditions
right to avoid showing that whenever you plug in a USB device to a
laptop that already has wireless built-in.

johannes