Search Linux Wireless

Re: Implementing Mikrotik IE

On Wed, 2019-08-21 at 23:17 +0200, Josef Miegl wrote:
> On August 21, 2019 10:12:26 PM GMT+02:00, Johannes Berg <johannes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > What AP are you trying to connect to? Have you tried adding some other
> > random vendor IE, with an OUI that the AP is almost certain to not
> > know?
> > Maybe it's actually interpreting this somehow?
> >
> > Would you be willing to show sniffer captures so we could take a look?
> >
> > johannes
>
> Of course it's interpreting the IE. Random vendor IE works fine.

Ok, that wasn't really clear to me until now.

> Let me explain why I'm even bothering with sending this mikrotik IE in
> association requests. The Mikrotik IE has a flag that tells the AP if
> the station wants WDS. Setting that flag and sending the mikrotik IE
> is required for transparent bridging with a mikrotik AP.

Aha, ok.

> Sending the Mikrotik IE with the WDS bit set to 0 works fine.

Even more curious :-)

> Now I'm sure this is a problem on Mikrotiks side, however in ubnts
> airos this works as expected, and since their airos is probably based
> on openwrt there has to be a way to make this work.
>
> I will send you the captures, however there doesn't seem to be
> anything much interesting in them.

Indeed, it seems unlikely I could get anything from that.

Do you have a successful handshake done by a "real" client
implementation?

Perhaps it expects the 4-way-HS to already be in 4-addr frame format, or
something else special in the 4-way-HS if you have WDS?

johannes