Search Linux Wireless

Re: Implementing Mikrotik IE

On Thu, 2019-08-22 at 01:57 +0200, Josef Miegl wrote:
> On August 20, 2019 2:36:21 PM GMT+02:00, Sebastian Gottschall <s.gottschall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > i know. thats why i never even tried to contribute it upstream. but
> > from
> > hostapd side it was more complicated than just hacking mac80211
> > and from stations a second mod for wpa_supplicant would be needed and
> > since the dd-wrt webgui just uses nl80211 to show the station table
> > its more comportable and takes less code just todo it within the driver
> > i there is special interest in it i could of course try to clean it up
> > and make a upstream patch out of it
>
> I don't think something like Mikrotiks IE belongs to hostapd. The
> cleanest solution is probably parsing the IE and generating the IE for
> hostapd with an external tool, that can the dd-wrt GUI then use. I've
> made a simple C program for this, can share if you want.

Sebastian was talking about yet another case - namely recording it for
the stations, to be able to show it.

I guess hostapd could be made to just generally record *all* the
association request IEs that a station sent and make those available
over the control interface.

Alternatively, you could have another application just listen to nl80211
events, I guess.

Or even the kernel could capture *all*, but I don't see why we'd waste
unpageable kernel memory for it.

johannes