Search Linux Wireless

Re: iwl3945 slow for downloading

Le Sat, 26 Jul 2008 16:10:59 -0500,
Larry Finger <Larry.Finger@xxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

> Cédric Auger wrote:
> > Le Sat, 26 Jul 2008 10:54:41 -0500,
> > Larry Finger <Larry.Finger@xxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

> >> Just for comparison, my BCM4312 running b43 from the latest
> >> wireless-testing gets the following tcpperf throughput:
> >>
> >> AP Mode          TX          RX
> >>
> >> Mixed b/g    19.8 MB/s   23.0 MB/s
> >> g-only       20.5 MB/s   23.1 MB/s
> >>
> >> For these tests, the connecting end was wired to the router. The
> >> difference in TX speeds was about what I expected - the small
> >> difference in RX speeds was not. In any case, if you see a large
> >> difference with iwl3945, that would be useful information.
> >>
> >> You can obtain tcpperf from
> >> http://wand.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~stj2/nsc/software.html
> >
> > hello
> > thanks for your answers.
> > i tried to set my ap to g-only, but i cannot :-( the wifi box is
> > given by my provider and it seems cannot be changed...
> > so i tried tcpperf, this is the result :
> >
> > cedric:/home/grisbi/tcpperf-1.754# ./tcpperf -c 192.168.0.4 -t 30
> > Duration: 30 9482usec
> > Bytes sent: 5481472 (5353 kB 5 MB 0 GB)
> > Bandwidth: 1461264 b/s (1461.26 kb/s 1.46 Mb/s)
> > Close duration: 0s 22usec
> >
> > then i tried to download an image of ubuntu and i had about 900kb/s,
> > so very good and i don't understand...  then i tried to send a big
> > file with scp to the other computer, as user and as root, it begins
> > at 2,2MB/s and decrease untill 150kb/s and stays between 130-200kb/s
> > i did again a tcpperf with -t 300 to check if it's not with the
> > time, but i have 1,30MB/s, seems correct.
> >
> > second test :
> > i stop the wifi and plug a cable. the second computer is still in
> > wifi. tcpperf gives me 17Mb/s and the same file with scp is sent
> > with about 2,2MB/s...
> > so now i really don't understand, from internet, loading work untill
> > 900kb/s (ok for me), but beween 2 computers on my network i have max
> > 200kb/s...
> > hopes this can be usefull
>
> It looks as if your receive rate is a lot higher than the transmit
> rate. You can check that by using the computer with the iwl3945 as
> the server and initiate tcpperf from the other end.

hi
i didn't think about that...
i did the test and i have a bandwidth of 7,55Mb/s... more than for the
other test...
so i did a transfer by scp from the other computer to my computer,
begin to 2,2Mb/s and decrease to 930kb/s, which is good for me.
so if i resume :

my computer 1 to computer 2 : 100-200kb/s
computer 2 to computer 1 : 950kb/s
internet to computer 1 : 950kb/s

then download seems correct, but upload seems bad. but if we look the
results of tcpperf :
computer 1 to computer 2 : 1,5Mb/s
computer 2 to computer 1 : 7,5Mb/s

perhaps 1,5Mb/s for upload is not good as i thought ?
thanks
cedric