Search Linux Wireless

Re: iwl3945 slow for downloading

Felix Fietkau wrote:
I don't know if it helps with debugging this issue, but I've seen the same
on a laptop from a friend of mine (same card).

After some searching I found that setting the AP to g-only mode instead of
b+g mixed made it work at decent speeds. Another symptom of this slowdown is
that there is typically an unnaturally high number of retransmissions on the
air, which eats up a lot of airtime.

I've spent some time looking through the code to find the reason for this
but couldn't find anything yet (maybe somebody from Intel could help).

Just for comparison, my BCM4312 running b43 from the latest wireless-testing gets the following tcpperf throughput:

AP Mode          TX          RX

Mixed b/g    19.8 MB/s   23.0 MB/s
g-only       20.5 MB/s   23.1 MB/s

For these tests, the connecting end was wired to the router. The difference in TX speeds was about what I expected - the small difference in RX speeds was not. In any case, if you see a large difference with iwl3945, that would be useful information.

You can obtain tcpperf from http://wand.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~stj2/nsc/software.html

Larry