Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC 00/19] wilc: added driver for wilc module

<Adham.Abozaeid@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On 10/08/2018 12:38 AM, Kalle Valo wrote:
>> Ajay Singh <ajay.kathat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> If I'm understanding correctly you are worried that 'wilc1000-spi.ko'
>> also supports wilc3000 devices, but I don't see that as a problem. I
>> think it's very common (not just in wireless) that the marketing names
>> don't always match with driver names.
>>

> It's highly unlikely that microchip will have a new generation of wilc
> devices other than wilc1000 and wilc3000, since a new family is
> already in development.
> And in case a new generation was developed, it will be best to support
> it in the current driver because of the similarities between wilc
> devices.
>
> I'm afraid that it might be more confusing for users to use wilc1000
> naming while they are using wilc3000 hardware. It's not only that the
> name that is different from the marketing name, but it also refers to
> another existing product.

Well, I see it very differently. For example, if I google 'wilc1000' I
get directly to the product page but with 'wilc' I get nothing useful.
And I have been dealing with marketing for so long that "never say
never" about what they will decide ;)

So I'm still not convinced that renaming is a good idea. But actually my
opinion doesn't matter here, as the rename should happen in the staging
tree (when the driver is moved from staging to drivers/net/wireless it
should be a simple rename, no other changes). So I'll leave this for
Greg to decide if the rename is worthwhile or not. My vote would be a
clear "no" :)

--
Kalle Valo