Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC 00/19] wilc: added driver for wilc module

On 10/08/2018 12:38 AM, Kalle Valo wrote:
> Ajay Singh <ajay.kathat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> On Sat, 6 Oct 2018 15:45:41 +0300
>> Kalle Valo <kvalo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> I'm worried that the name 'wilc' is just too generic, I liked the
>>> original name wilc1000 much more. Quite often when we have a new
>>> generation of wireless devices there's also a new driver, so in the
>>> long run I'm worried that a generic name like 'wilc' could be a
>>> source of confusion. I think it's much smaller problem if
>>> 'wilc1000' (the driver) also supports wilc3000 (the device), people
>>> are already used to that.

> If I'm understanding correctly you are worried that 'wilc1000-spi.ko'
> also supports wilc3000 devices, but I don't see that as a problem. I
> think it's very common (not just in wireless) that the marketing names
> don't always match with driver names.

It's highly unlikely that microchip will have a new generation of wilc devices other than wilc1000 and wilc3000, since a new family is already in development.
And in case a new generation was developed, it will be best to support it in the current driver because of the similarities between wilc devices.

I'm afraid that it might be more confusing for users to use wilc1000 naming while they are using wilc3000 hardware. It's not only that the name that is different from the marketing name, but it also refers to another existing product.

Thanks,
Adham