Search Linux Wireless

Re: Usage of WoWLAN with iwlwifi driver (Device phy0 failed to suspend async: error -16)

Am 06.03.2017 um 22:51 schrieb Johannes Berg:
>> I realized I also have a Win10 installation on that machine - and may
>> as well try WoWLAN with it.
>> Enabling (in the dreaded device manager) wake via the WiFi device,
>> magic packet mode, I also cannot wake the machine.
>
> Ok. I didn't even know it was easy to actually get this configured on
> Windows :)
At least I hope it's so easy in Windows (and that's what "the internet" told me).
I'm also not sure whether that's fully sufficient, since I never got it to work
(at least not with WiFi ;-) ).
Also, it seems extremely driver dependent
to configure more complex stuff than magic packet (i.e. anything else is not in the normal
device manager GUI, but in the driver-specific options for each device).

>> So if it was a driver bug, it would have to be present both in
>> Windows and Linux drivers - but I guess it's just another case
>> of broken system firmware *sigh*.
>
> Agree, that seems rather unlikely. Unless there's some kind of "magic"
> setup that the UEFI wants, and the driver knows nothing about ... also
> seems unlikely though.
>
>> And that's even though it's a pretty recent Clevo W230SD-based
>> machine (which I considered decently widespread)
>> with unlocked UEFI (so I see almost all options), but of course
>> nothing related to ACPI wakeup.
>> But I guess widespread alone does not help ;-).
>
> Yeah, too bad. Want to ask the manufacturer for help? ;-)
I believe my Chinese is not good enough to contact the original manufacturer - and the W230SD is already not manufactured
anymore, I think (even though it still was current a year ago or so).
I also doubt the German company which relabelled the Clevo barebone (Schenker) will care.
The other laptop is >4 years old now, and an Alienware machine with dedicated GPU (only), so they probably did not care too much about any power saving / ACPI wakeup feature at all.

But anyways, WoW-LAN for me would just have been a nice feature, but is not essential for survival.

With cheap can-be-always-on-devices like a Raspberry Pi, I guess WoW-LAN in consumer-grade laptops is becoming less and less interesting.
Also, I personally do not have a must-have usecase for it.

Thanks anyways! :-)
	Oliver