Search Linux Wireless

Re: Usage of WoWLAN with iwlwifi driver (Device phy0 failed to suspend async: error -16)

Am 02.03.2017 um 09:55 schrieb Johannes Berg:
>> The problem is that it seems I cannot actually wake the machine
>> anymore afterwards...
>> While in the suspend procedure, I see:
>> [12385.893568] iwlwifi 0000:0a:00.0: System wakeup enabled by ACPI
>> as expected, I could neither get it to make a tcp connection in tcp-
>> connection mode,
>> nor could I wake the machine via magic packet in magic-packet mode.
>>
>> Could that be some hardware / system firmware limitation, e.g. if my
>> UEFI does not support actually powering
>> the WiFi hardware if I am in S3?
>
> Yes. Does it print something to that effect at resume time? I think it
> should.
Oh yes - I totally missed that since it came quite late in the resume cycle:

[12386.085899] iwlwifi 0000:0a:00.0: System wakeup disabled by ACPI
[12386.088449] iwlwifi 0000:0a:00.0: Device was reset during suspend

I guess the "Device was reset during suspend" means my firmware did something uncool
like cutting the power to it (it's a laptop, but I suspended with power supply staying connected).
UEFI options are very limited, so I guess I'm just out of luck with this hardware.

I have another laptop with the same iwlwifi card (but newer HW revision), a comparable Gentoo
installation but with an unlocked UEFI.
I'll play with it on the weekend and report back in case I find anything different there.

>> At least, the suspend problem seems to be clearly related to some
>> path only used if CONFIG_IWLWIFI_PCIE_RTPM is on.
>
> Would you mind filing a bug on bugzilla.kernel.org (and adding linuxwif
> i@xxxxxxxxx as the assignee or at least in Cc)? I think we really ought
> to sort out the issues with the RTPM stuff.
Good idea, I'll do that over the weekend.

Thanks a lot for the support!
	Oliver