Search Linux Wireless

Re: Looking for non-NIC hardware-offload for wpa2 decrypt.

On 08/20/2014 01:47 PM, Christian Lamparter wrote:
On Tuesday, August 19, 2014 11:18:39 AM Ben Greear wrote:
On 08/14/2014 10:09 AM, Ben Greear wrote:
On 08/14/2014 05:39 AM, Christian Lamparter wrote:
On Tuesday, August 12, 2014 11:34:59 AM Ben Greear wrote:

Without encryption, I see download rate of around 400 - 420Mbps.

So, your patch looks like a good improvement to me, and I'll be
happy to test further patches if you happen to do those assembler
optimizations you talk about above.

Maybe, that will depend on what the results for: "wpa2, *HW*-crypt,
download, udp" are.

I'll do that test sometime soon and post the results.

I ran that today, and I get about the same throughput with hw-crypt or
sw-crypt (350-355Mbps UDP download goodput).

I still see 400+Mbps with Open authentication.

So, maybe the bottleneck now is elsewhere...
Can you rule out that the "udp generator" (either the application
or the hardware) is now the bottleneck for this test? [Does the
datasheet mention the throughput of the hw-crypto? Or do you know
someone at QCA which can tell you if the hardware is filling up
the aggregates with additional padding to meet the MPDU start
spacing]

It is unlikely the UDP generator acts differently for encrypted v/s open
traffic, and since the NIC is supposed to do offload in hw-crypt mode,
the rest of the stack should be similar as well.

Other ath10k users report similar open & wpa2 throughput, so
it may be something in my kernel or firmware or configs.
I will run some additional tests when I get a chance...

I'll look into the assembler implementation of aes-ccm. But I'm
afraid that this won't increase the throughput (and only decrease
the load on the CPU a bit).

I think you are right, and probably it is not worth much effort at
this point, at least as far as my setup is concerned.

Also, just for fun: what goodput can you achieve over gbit ethernet?
[Because ethernet is also affected by filtering, bridging,
pcie-throughput... if it is setup in the same way so you could
rule out that iptables, its friends or the pcie-port is a
bottleneck].

Since Open runs faster, it shouldn't be pci-e bus or CPU bottleneck.
This class of system can generally sustain near 1 Gbps throughput
on wired Ethernet.

Thanks,
Ben

--