Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC 1/5] cfg80211: export minstrel best rate information through get_station()

On 21/01/14 17:32, Antonio Quartulli wrote:

>>> How should I obtain that if not with the previous operation (bitrate*prob)?
>>
>> Minstrel actually has some tables for that, no? This would still just
>> only be the raw bitrate, not the actual throughput.
>
> I will check within Minstrel, but in this way we are limiting batman-adv
> to use only what Minstrel thinks to be the "expected throughput"....And
> if this turns to be something not adequate we will have to change
> API.

Johannes,

do you think that an API exporting the "expected throughput" would be a
acceptable? At that point any RC algorithm can implement it the way it
prefers.

Moreover, if users realise that the API is not returning a proper value
we can still fix the implementation in the future (as soon as it still
returns something called "expected throughput").

Can this be the way to go? At this point we forget about the concept of
rate and we move to throughput, which is what we are really interested in.

Cheers,

--
Antonio Quartulli