Search Linux Wireless

Re: cw1200: add driver for the ST-E CW1100 & CW1200 WLAN chipsets

On Wed, Jun 05, 2013 at 02:36:51PM +0300, Kalle Valo wrote:
> What do you mean with bring up netdev? I don't understand.
>
> Even now you call ieee80211_register_hw() before cw1200_debug_init(). At
> least from a quick look I don't see any technical reason why you can't
> use testmode (unless I'm missing something).

A dozen-ish lines above the call to ieee80211_register_hw() you'll see:

 #ifdef CONFIG_CW1200_ETF
        if (etf_mode)
                goto done;
 #endif

In other words, when in that debugging-only mode, the device never
gets registered.

> We have been working hard to get rid of all sort ugly driver specific
> interfaces. If you don't want to use the proper interface then I guess
> it's better to remove the custom debugfs interface from cw1200.

It's not a matter of not wanting to use the proper interface so much as
having to pick my battles.  (I no longer have access to the vendor
tools, nor am I inclined to spend my free time hacking on something
end-users aren't going to need)

I'm fine with the ETF support getting stripped out of the mainline.  In
the shorter term it can live as an out-of-tree patch; in the longer term
it can be implemented properly using the nl80211_testmode hooks.

Meanwhile, there's a second debugfs interface ("itp") in the cw1200
driver that basically implements a continuous tx/rx function on top of
regular production firmware.  This should probably just go as well.

I'll prepare a couple of patches to do this.

 - Solommon
--
Solomon Peachy        		       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Delray Beach, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^