Search Linux Wireless

Re: cw1200: add driver for the ST-E CW1100 & CW1200 WLAN chipsets

On Wed, Jun 05, 2013 at 11:06:33AM +0300, Kalle Valo wrote:
> > I'll try to robustify this rather ugly interface as much as possible.
>
> We have nl80211 testmode interface for just stuff like this. I recommend
> using that instead of debugfs.

When in the so-called etf_mode, the driver doesn't create a netdev.  It
doesn't probe the hardware; it doesn't even (automatically) load
firmware because it doesn't know what firmware to load.  The driver
becomes a (mostly very dumb) conduit for messages to/from userspace.

That userspace in turn is a thin daemon that listens on a TCP socket and
relays everything to/from a windows-only highly proprietary vendor tool.
Everything needed to initialize the hardware (even the dpll value), is
obtained via these messages.

There's no inherent reason why this daemon couldn't use nl80211 instead,
but IMO it's not worth the effort to rewrite the driver so it can bring
up a netdev that (cleanly) fails everything other than nl80211 testcmds.
After all, it'll still be an opaque binary interface whether it uses
nl80211, custom ioctls, or the existing debugfs interface.

If the existing debugfs interface is too ugly to stomach in the
mainline, we're better off just stripping it out and maintaining it as
an out-of-tree patch for the handful of users that need to use the
vendor tools -- In other words, folks bringing up new hardware designs
or obtaining FCC(etc) certification.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy        		       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Delray Beach, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^