Search Linux Wireless

Re: OpenBSD bcw: Possible GPL license violation issues

[Please stop this. This doesn't lead anywhere. But as long as you need
answers, I'll try to provide you with them.]

On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 19:12:06 -0600
Theo de Raadt <deraadt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Copyrighted whitespaces and variable names, you mean, right?
> >
> > No.
>
> What does that "No." mean.  Are you being obtuse?  I am quoting you:

[...]

> If whitespacing and variable names do not matter for the larger issue
> at hand, then I suggest you don't bring it up.  Why would you bring it
> up?  Because you want to accuse.  You don't want to see these issues
> solved in the right way (whatever that will be).  You want to accuse,
> by bringing up whitespace.  Why else would you bring up whitespace?

I don't want to accuse anybody. Please see the context. I was trying to
explain why I think bcw developers went public about this issue even
before we noticed about it, and this seems to imply direct copy. (But hey,
I'm not against direct copy, even! I just agree with Michael about this.)

> It should be obvious to anyone who actually goes and reads it, that
> the remainder Marcus' driver shows that he IS TRYING TO TAKE A GOOD
> FAITH APPROACH TOWARDS LICENSING.

I _think_ and hope this.

> Michael's initial overly public statemen did not dispute Marcus
> obviously tried to do the right thing, but your agressiveness DOES
> dispute it.  Your sentence:
>
> > Not even trying to hide that.
>
> Is exceedingly agressive.  If you have an agenda here, please make
> it clear.

I'm really sorry if this has been perceived as aggressive. I don't want to
be aggressive. See above, for the reason why I wrote this sentence.

> Right about now I think you (Stefano) don't understand that every word
> you say is leading certain people to abandon even trying to write an
> alternative Broadcom driver.

I can't really agree with this. I think you should at least explain why.

> And ... if what you really want is that another Broadcom driver does
> not come into existance, then just say so.  If that is your agenda,
> say so loud and clear, so that we can know.

My agenda:
https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/bcm43xx-dev/2005-December/000816.html

--
Ciao