Search Linux Wireless

Re: OpenBSD bcw: Possible GPL license violation issues

> > Copyrighted whitespaces and variable names, you mean, right?
>
> No.

What does that "No." mean.  Are you being obtuse?  I am quoting you:

> The bcw developers went public with it. This code was submitted to a
> public CVS. With multiple commits. Copying comments. Maintaining
> whitespace and variable names. Not even trying to hide that.
  -----------------------------

If whitespacing and variable names do not matter for the larger issue
at hand, then I suggest you don't bring it up.  Why would you bring it
up?  Because you want to accuse.  You don't want to see these issues
solved in the right way (whatever that will be).  You want to accuse,
by bringing up whitespace.  Why else would you bring up whitespace?

It should be obvious to anyone who actually goes and reads it, that
the remainder Marcus' driver shows that he IS TRYING TO TAKE A GOOD
FAITH APPROACH TOWARDS LICENSING.  He is reading what he can and it
appears he made a few expedient mistakes.  But the larger bulk of the
driver, shows that he is trying to do this right.  I think Michael
knows this, but Stefano -- your agressiveness does not show that you
understand this.

Michael's initial overly public statemen did not dispute Marcus
obviously tried to do the right thing, but your agressiveness DOES
dispute it.  Your sentence:

> Not even trying to hide that.

Is exceedingly agressive.  If you have an agenda here, please make
it clear.

I read every sentence you wrote, but I will wait for Michael to reply.
He brought this issue up, he chose the venue, and he gets to decide
where this goes now.  I've talked a little with Marcus, and I think
that based on Michael's next comments, Marcus will decide which
direction he goes.

Right about now I think you (Stefano) don't understand that every word
you say is leading certain people to abandon even trying to write an
alternative Broadcom driver.  Your english seems solid, but you are
not listening to the vibe.

And ... if what you really want is that another Broadcom driver does
not come into existance, then just say so.  If that is your agenda,
say so loud and clear, so that we can know.  However if you are
comfortable with another driver existing in the future, then we will
wait for Michael to speak up.  In this forum, since this is where he
has decided it should all go.

I believe that based on the public existance of reverse engineering
specifications for the chipset there are a number of people who have
no problem with there being MANY implimentations.  But if you want to
piss off other people who will try, Stefano, just keep on talking...
-