Search Linux Wireless

Re: OpenBSD bcw: Possible GPL license violation issues

On Thursday 05 April 2007 02:29, Theo de Raadt wrote:
> > Who is mean here? Again, we aren't out for blood. I don't care for who is
> > mean here. But if you do, you should be a bit more careful before insulting
> > people.
>
> OH i get it.  I'm insulting you, but you guys are not mean by taking it
> widely public.  No private mail received anyone.

I'm sorry. This GPL violation is too obvious.
Compare the code. Many functions are 1:1 copied. The author of
bcw can't tell me that he did not intentionally violate the GPL
and our copyright.

> If Marcus Glocker just gives up now, and aborts his efforts, I would
> not be surprised.  I'd be a bit dissapointed but then it is just the
> increasingly rare Broadcom chipset.

Marcus Glocker is free to contact us to get a clean relicensing
agreement on the code. I wrote that in the first mail.

> If he quit, I would understand his position completely, based on the
> first contact with him about this issue BEING A PUBLIC DRAG THROUGH
> THE MUD BY YOU GUYS.

Your code is public. We respond in your public GPL violation in
a public mail.

> This infighting between two teams trying to support the same chipset
> is a complete mockery of the publicness of the original reverse
> engineering effort.  My guess is that Michael is thinking very
> carefully about whether starting the discussion in public was the
> right thing to do, but I am very sure that Stefano jumping in to lob a
> second volley of mud helps noone's cause, especially Michael's cause.
> Stefano, if you want this resolved nicely, I suggest you think before
> you send more mail.

Please don't attack Stefano. This leads to nothing.
He is also a copyright holder of large amounts of bcm43xx code.

> > Maintaining whitespace and variable names.
>
> Copyrighted whitespaces and variable names, you mean, right?

We are not talking about variable names of whitespaces.
We are talking about copied code and algorithms.
The examples I brought were just examples.

--
Greetings Michael.
-