Attempting to use a sprint U600 (BCSM250)

On Thu, 2011-01-13 at 15:15 -0500, Shawn J. Goff wrote:
> I'd love to work on a rewrite, possibly making it work with the existing
> WiMAX stack (from Intel).  I've never done a driver, and probably can't
> do it on my own at this point, but that's probably not going to stop me
> from trying. First, though, I'm trying to get the existing one working.

The current wimax userspace bits from intel (with the exception of
wimax-tools, which Inaky wrote from scratch) are ugly and badly written.
They don't need to be even 1/10th of the size they currently are.  While
converting the Beceem driver over to using the Intel wimaxd would
certainly be the path of least resistance, the wimaxd code is a mess and
you'll spend some time tearing your hair out trying to figure out how to
modify that code.  But you can certainly do it.

The long-term path should probably be to write a device-agnostic wimaxd
that supports multiple vendor's devices, since we now have at least two
drivers.  The Intel cards have like 10 or 20 different actual commands
(ie connect, scan, hwinfo, etc) and that certainly doesn't warrant the
current wimaxd's spaghetti.  Having a cleaner-written, smaller wimaxd
would also make it easier to fix bugs and add support for new devices.

Dan