Nokia's WiMAX implementation

On Behalf Of Dan Williams
> Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 8:16 AM
> To: Luciano Coelho
> Cc: wimax@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: Nokia's WiMAX implementation
>
> On Tue, 2008-06-03 at 16:29 +0300, Luciano Coelho wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I have already been reading this mailing list for a while, so I think
now it's time for me to introduce myself and explain a little bit of what
we are doing with WiMAX here at Nokia.
>> As you probably already know, Nokia has announced the N810 Internet
Tablet WiMAX Edition[1].  This device is based on Linux, so it's clear

>> that we are also working on a WiMAX implementation for Linux.
>> Our architecture is different from the open source implementation by
Intel, eg. the API exposed by the kernel driver module is simpler and
hardware-independent.
>> Basically we have the following components:
>> * WiMAX driver module (which will probably be open-sourced soon); *
WiMAX Daemon (will probably be open-sourced soon), which contains basic
controls and provides the interface between the driver and the rest of the
user space;
>> * A proprietary connectivity daemon (ICd) with WiMAX modules that
contains most of the ND&S logic.
>> At this moment, unfortunately, I cannot reveal much more details, but
you can expect to see some more involvement from us in the near
> future.
>> I have already discussed our implementation in more details with
> Marcel
>> Holtmann.  I think we should start cooperating to implement a generic
WiMAX stack that will become the de-facto implementation for the Linux

>> kernel! ;)
>
> Yes, please do that.  We don't want another iwpriv fiasco _at all_.
Before WiMAX support gets into the kernel, we need to have a consistent
interface that most chipsets can support, so that userspace doesn't have
to have specific code for every WiMAX device driver.

> Where do you guys implement the OMA-DM bits, in the proprietary
> connection daemon?  We're gonna need an open-source (preferably MIT
licensed) OMA-DM client at some point here, so if that's where the OMA-DM
stuff is, I'd like to request that you reconsider its proprietary nature
if you can, to avoid duplication of effort.

> Cheers,
> Dan

Hello all,
Our goal for this project is to have WiMAX done right and working well.
This includes evolving the base architecture to a state where the
interfaces are generic, while the device specific modules are pluggable.

Also, we believe in keeping all essential components of the project
available in open source and are taking steps towards that gradually.

Through our effort, we intend to support all Intel WiMAX devices,
which includes Baxter Peak WiMAX. We invite cooperation from community
toward this project. As well, folks are welcome to extend support for
other WiMAX devices too. So please share what you have as soon as you are
ready.

Best regards,
-Seemab.