Nokia's WiMAX implementation

On Tue, 2008-06-03 at 16:29 +0300, Luciano Coelho wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have already been reading this mailing list for a while, so I think
> now it's time for me to introduce myself and explain a little bit of
> what we are doing with WiMAX here at Nokia.
>
> As you probably already know, Nokia has announced the N810 Internet
> Tablet WiMAX Edition[1].  This device is based on Linux, so it's clear
> that we are also working on a WiMAX implementation for Linux.
>
> Our architecture is different from the open source implementation by
> Intel, eg. the API exposed by the kernel driver module is simpler and
> hardware-independent.
>
> Basically we have the following components:
>
> * WiMAX driver module (which will probably be open-sourced soon);
> * WiMAX Daemon (will probably be open-sourced soon), which contains
> basic controls and provides the interface between the driver and the
> rest of the user space;
> * A proprietary connectivity daemon (ICd) with WiMAX modules that
> contains most of the ND&S logic.
>
> At this moment, unfortunately, I cannot reveal much more details, but
> you can expect to see some more involvement from us in the near future.
>
> I have already discussed our implementation in more details with Marcel
> Holtmann.  I think we should start cooperating to implement a generic
> WiMAX stack that will become the de-facto implementation for the Linux
> kernel! ;)

Yes, please do that.  We don't want another iwpriv fiasco _at all_.
Before WiMAX support gets into the kernel, we need to have a consistent
interface that most chipsets can support, so that userspace doesn't have
to have specific code for every WiMAX device driver.

Where do you guys implement the OMA-DM bits, in the proprietary
connection daemon?  We're gonna need an open-source (preferably MIT
licensed) OMA-DM client at some point here, so if that's where the
OMA-DM stuff is, I'd like to request that you reconsider its proprietary
nature if you can, to avoid duplication of effort.

Cheers,
Dan

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux Wireless]     [Linux Bluetooth]     [Linux Netdev]     [Linux Kernel Newbies]     [IDE]     [Security]     [Git]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite News]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux ATA RAID]     [Samba]     [Video 4 Linux]     [Device Mapper]