Nokia's WiMAX implementation

Hello,

Some time ago, a colleague of mine, Luciano Coelho, opened a discussion
with this same subject. I think it is time now for me to continue that
discussion, because our aim, like that of Intel's, is to achieve a
unified WiMAX driver interface for Linux. For reference, the original
posting is archived in
http://linuxwimax.org/pipermail/wimax/2008-June/000028.html.

As Luca explains in his e-mail, the Nokia architechture is different
from the approach taken by Intel.
- The Nokia architechture places the device independent WiMAX interface
at the kernel/user-space barrier, so that all user-space components are
independent of the WiMAX device.
- The Intel architechture places the device independent WiMAX interface
on top of a user-space library, so that in the kernel/user-space
barrier, essentially, chipset specific messages are exchanged.

In the original posting, Luciano stated that the Nokia driver sources
are not publicized yet. This has now changed. For reference, please see
the Maemo.org repository at
http://repository.maemo.org/pool/maemo4.1/free/k/kernel-source-diablo/

The Nokia driver currently implements the WiMAX methods as private
extensions to the WLAN wireless events interface. Obviously, for a long
term solution fixed messages would need to be defined. Still, the
methods defined in the interface have been proven to work on a real
product, and could serve as good reference defining a device independent
WiMAX driver interface for Linux.

It is my personal feeling that the Nokia approach is closer to what is
intended by the driver model in operating systems, such as Linux.

Juuso Oikarinen