Nokia's WiMAX implementation

Our current set, from a very high level point of view, the current WE
header:

- do WiMAX NAP scan (given a list of channels, returns found channels
with NAP id, RSSI, CINR)
- do WiMAX NSP scan (given a channel and NAP id, returns NSP id list,
verbose name list, change count)
- do connect (given a channel and NAP id)
- do disconnect
- get serving BS info (returns channel info and BS id of the serving BS)
- get NSP realm (returns the NSP realm string)
- get neighbor list (returns list of current advertised neighbor
basestations, channel and BS id)
- get last error (returns code indicating last error)
- set EAP result (used to indicate whether EAP failed or alternatively
specify the MSK to the driver)
- set config (used to configure things like idle timeout, idle paging
timeout, etc)

Wireless events are used to notify the client of events. Obviously,
they're used with things like connect to indicate completion, scan to
indicate available results and completion, etc, but there are some
special events too:

- "realm available" the realm becomes available during the connect
procedure, this indicates that it can now be retrieved
- "bs info available" info on which BS the device is going to connect to
becomes available during the connect procedure, this indicates that it
can now be retrieved
- "ip renew" it is possible, that due to handovers, the DHCP renew needs
to be executed although the connection never went down and lease never
expired, this is to indicate that
- "neighbor update" indicates there were changes in neighbor bs
information

There are lots of parameters affecting detailed behavior. I would be
happy to provide a more detailed design, with sequence charts, for this
interface. I would be happy to write a template for message structures
too if there's interest.

>I really don't want to set this on stone until there is at
>least a second vendor coming in, but that doesn't mean we can
>start thinking about it.
>
>BTW, where can we find your user space code?

This is not as simple as I might hope :( Although open source EAP stacks
exist, Nokia is currently using a proprietary one, and its sources are
not available. The daemon component (called "wimaxd") is open source,
but is currently not available, but there is work ongoing to make it so.
It will be in the same repository as the kernel sources.

To be truthful, however, the network selection logic (and OMA DM) is
proprietary, and most likely will be for some time in the future. These
are considered "differentiating" features.

-Juuso

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux Wireless]     [Linux Bluetooth]     [Linux Netdev]     [Linux Kernel Newbies]     [IDE]     [Security]     [Git]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite News]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux ATA RAID]     [Samba]     [Video 4 Linux]     [Device Mapper]