Nokia's WiMAX implementation

On Thu, 2008-12-04 at 08:12 +0200, juuso.oikarinen@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> [...]

We're moving to netlink-based stuff upstream anyway, with a new tool
'iw' based on that netlink based interface.  The community will have to
deal with it, because WE is completely frozen and dead.  There are
features that many people in the community want (that used to be
implemented with iwpriv) that will only be implemented with the netlink
interface, and kernel support for WE will be moved over to WE-compat
code that simply translates the WE calls into the netlink handlers
anyway.  Nobody likes WE, and nobody wants to maintain it going forward.
We shouldn't be adding _new_ ioctls based on the WE design; anything
that does certainly won't go upstream.

Dan

> I agree with you. The best solution would be a fusion. A netlink message
> based interface with the abstract WiMAX operations (with interface
> abstraction at the level used in the Nokia driver) would be the way to
> start defining a uniform WiMAX driver interface for Linux.
>

> -Juuso
>
> >> methods defined in the interface have been proven to work on a real
> >> product, and could serve as good reference defining a device
> >> independent WiMAX driver interface for Linux.
> >>
> >> It is my personal feeling that the Nokia approach is closer
> >to what is
> >> intended by the driver model in operating systems, such as Linux.

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux Wireless]     [Linux Bluetooth]     [Linux Netdev]     [Linux Kernel Newbies]     [IDE]     [Security]     [Git]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite News]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux ATA RAID]     [Samba]     [Video 4 Linux]     [Device Mapper]