Re: what should a virtio-mmio transport without a backend look like?

On 21 June 2013 19:45, Christopher Covington <cov@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> You were proposing to use a valid/existing MagicValue/Version/VendorID with a
> special DeviceID that does nothing. I'm saying why not use a valid/existing
> MagicValue/Version/VendorID/DeviceID with a special parameter setting, size=0,
> that does nothing?

Ah, I see. Well, it sounds from your quoted mount message as if they
do actually do something (ie the kernel finds a block device and
creates a /dev/vda for it), rather than nothing, which seems like
a bad thing. Also, it's mixing a detail of the backend layer (what
a zero-sized disk happens to look like) with the transport layer,
which seems a bit ugly spec-wise.

(Implementation wise I'm not crazy about it either since it would
be way more complicated than saying "no backend? OK, RAZ/WI".)

-- PMM