Re: what should a virtio-mmio transport without a backend look like?

On 20 June 2013 13:58, Christopher Covington <cov@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Thu, 2013-06-20 at 11:29 +0100, Peter Maydell wrote:
>>> 1. One question I've run into is: what should a virtio-mmio transport
>>> with no backend look like to the guest OS? The spec as written
>>> seems to assume that there's always some backend present.
>>> (The idea is that QEMU might just always instantiate say 8
>>> mmio transports, and then whether they actually have a
>>> blk/net/whatever backend depends on user options).

> Might it be reasonably easy to just not enumerate unused transports
> in the device tree or kernel parameters?

At least for QEMU, the backend that plugs into the transport
isn't created until after the machine model has created
transports and put together the device tree blob. So we don't
really have the information about what devices are going to
appear at the point we're doing this.

thanks
-- PMM